ArcBotics Metal Gears and Custom Servos

Even better! (and cheaper). They’ve be metal gear, strong, and we’re aiming for $6 retail.

Yeah, I have to admit I kind of shat a brick when I saw they came out with those, though.

But basically, yeah, that’s the idea. Imagine being able to calibrate your Hexy just by moving it into place, or capturing move by posing it.

Hexy, or say, a humanoid robot… :wink:

Any updates?
been really needing to replace the plastic servos

Yes! We’ve gotten the samples, tested them, nailed down our plan with the factory, and are getting injection molding tooling started to make the custom plastic bottoms. We’re still discussing how long it will take exactly, but we should have an estimate in a couple of days. Even cooler: We’re going to be doing a factory tour on Monday. I’ll be the annoying white guy taking tons of pictures, which I’ll be posting on the blog (I’m getting more serious about communicating with you guys more, I just spent a few hours cleaning it all up last night).

that’s great news… i cant wait… hoping the price comes down a bit but eithereway they sound like they are going to be highly durable servos and im gonna want em :slight_smile:

on a side note i have been checking in here and there but your blog page does seem to have and RSS feed

do you think it would be a huge deal for you to add RSS to your blog page? i try and follow many project companies and stuff like Arcbotics and when they have something i can stick in my news reader (rss reader) it makes it so much easier for me to keep up with what you guys are doing. Especially now that the Kickstarter stuff is in the past its a good way to help get your stuff out there. Mailing lists are an option but i prefer RSS feeds personally

We’ll definitely be offering a discount option for existing Hexy users, probably something along the lines of a coupon code. It will probably be a hair more expensive than hobby king, but we’re also offering the analog feedback.

RSS feed is: arcbotics.com/feed/

I’ve updated the sidebar appropriately to now show RSS/Facebook/Twitter.

well i think that discount would make it quite reasonable for a good quality item… thanks

Also i appreciate the update for the feed… now i can keep a better eye on your news and updates. cant wait to read more

Okay, we started production and they’re projected to be done 35 days from today. We’ll start taking even further discounted pre-orders soon. We should have it all sorted about by Monday, which will time nicely with the factory tour. I’ll lay out how to pre-order in a blog post then.

Yay! Its finally happening :smiley:. Seriously, this has taken months of detective work and haggling. Should be worth it though, the samples have been super awesome to work with, especially in prototyping the new humanoid.

Okay, servo factory was awesome! We’re going to be adding the analog feedback to all future hexys after this current batch, and to all servo replacements once our existing stock sells out, too. Blog post about the tour in a day or two. I would have had it out sooner, but Sparki is design is sooo close to being done.

We’ll be selling metal replacements for $10 per servo, $9 if you preorder, with an additional $3 per servo off for existing Hexy owners (you’ll have to email us for a coupon code).

so for existing customers and KS backers, a full set of replacement servos should be $108 right?

From your post it seems these new servos will become standard on all new Hexy’s? assuming that will cause the base price of the hexy to increase?

Analog feedback plastic gear servos will now be standard. Metal gears will not.

Yes for existing Hexy customers wanting metal gears for all leg servos, $6x18 = $108.

They’re up for sale!
arcbotics.com/2013/08/new-servos/

yay! just waiting on coupon code

Hey so quick question

Will I be able to simply just replace the original servos with the metal gear ones without having to mod the existing hardware and software for hexy? I see that there is a new controller IC included and was wondering how I may go about installing that properly :stuck_out_tongue: if any one has any ideas.

Yes, they’re 1-to-1 replaceable with the existing servos.

Any news about the new hexy with the metal gear? Are you shipping it now?
Or do i still have to purchase the hexy and buy the upgrade gear pack?
I am looking for an easy way to get one shipped to germany.

best regards,
valium

We are not currently planning on doing a metal-gear Hexy anytime soon. You would need to purchase Hexy and then additionally purchase the metal gear upgrade. However, we would obviously provide you the corresponding discount code.

any update on shipping? last i was told they would be shipping mid october
the website shows 60 available and that they are shipping now.
i pre-ordered the day they were announced and have received pretty much no updates on my order, where do we stand on this.
I dropped a lot of $$ into these new servos and i can deal with delays, but the lack of communication can get a tad frustrating.

update please :slight_smile:

so just to provide an update for others that may be reading, i submitted a support ticket, got feedback pretty fast as to the status of my order (Thanks!!)

I received my ArcBotics branded metal servers a couple weeks back and just finished removing all the old ones and installing the new ones. Overall they seem to be doing pretty good. i have only done some basic testing with PoCoMo but i think the movement is better and i expect the durability will be a lot better.

I have no idea what the plans are for using the Analog feedback, since from what i have read the Servotor32 board doesnt have nearly enough analog inputs to actually use them all, but i am very interested to hear what plans if any ArcBotics / roboalchemist may have to integrate some or all of this into an updated firmware. Right now i just have them all wound up and and tucked away with the rest. Analog feedback is an awesome feature, i sure hope we get official support soon for it.

Anyways, overall awesome job with the servo’s i will report back more after i do more testing

Hey was just thinking did you maybe resigned some of the hexy parts to accommodate that pivot hole?

They’re definitely there for future products, yes. They’re made to pivot on the end of an M5 screw.