Battery Life

What kind of battery life are people seeing with their Hexy? I was using 4 AA batteries while waiting for my Powerex rechargeables to arrive, and after 10 or so movements I was getting the curl up with every action. Also tried with 5 Eneloop rechargeables I have (1.2v each) fully charged and got maybe 5-6 movements before the constant curl up.

Are you driving the logic and servos from the same battery pack?

I used Joe’s advice and started using the 4 AA-battery pack (LSD NIMH) for the servos, and a 9V for the logic. Worked great, and Hexy has taken multiple 30+ foot walks via bluetooth using that config before I had to recharge. The 9V seems to be going strong, so I think that will last a while…

Nope, using a 9V for logic.

I’ve been driving both from one set of 4 AA batteries, and they’re wiped out in seconds.

I can run the logic on a 9v battery, but even then it sounds like the battery life for the servo battery is quite short (which makes sense, as 19 servos must draw a lot more current than an Arduino controller, even one with a ton of control lines).

Since Hexy can’t go too far on batteries anyway, I’m thinking that external power is the way to go. Has anyone identified a power supply that has the right voltage, plug and polarity for Hexy? 5v power supplies are cheap, but there’s such a wide range of connectors (and amperages and polarity) that I’m not too sure what matches Hexy’s specs, ideally with a nice long cord. Any suggestions?

And if it’s on an external power supply, is there any reason not to drive both servos and logic from a single 5v power supply?

You may find your answer on the wiki https://github.com/ArcBotics/Hexy/wiki/Powering-Hexy

It seems that Hexy can’t make it very far on it’s own battery power. Are there any other types of battery packs that would give a longer run time? I’m not talking anything crazy like 20 minutes, but maybe 5-10 minutes continued use?

I’m getting good life out of 4 high-end rechargeable batteries. Hard to say exactly how long it lasts, as I tend to kill the servos between moves (as recommended here), but I’d estimate at least 15 minutes of jiggling about before it curls up like a dead spider.

PS scooter1015, definitely get a Hexy, it’s awesome.

[quote=“rpcook”]
PS scooter1015, definitely get a Hexy, it’s awesome.[/quote]
Oh, I fully plan on getting one of these bad boys once I graduate and my wife and I move to a more permanent location when I start working later in the spring. I’ve checked out your site Rob and love what you’re doing, especially from an engineering standpoint.

So the AAs last for a while on their own, which is good, but how long should I expect each 9V to last if I’m using that to power the controller. I have yet to find a fairly inexpensive place to buy 9Vs, and if I’m going through a lot, I’d like to look into a different method of powering the board separate from the servos.