Metal Gear Replacement Servos, Turnigy TGY-50090M

FWIW mine worked fine without any issues.

Toni

Thanks Toni. I’ll post my experiences once I get everything.

I just started to switch to the Turnigy servos. The two servo horns from the Turnigy servos I’ve used so far don’t quite align with the laser cut holes for them. The Tower servo horns have a slightly wider spacing, the second hole in from each end of the Tower horn is about the same distance as the first hole on one end and the second hole on the other end of the Turnigy horn.

I installed the Turnigy horns using the second hole in on each horn after slightly ovaling each of those holes. I’ll let you know the results once I finish but I don’t expect any problem.

I just received mine in the mail and I’m planning on swapping them all out. I’ll post an update as to how it goes. Does anyone know if the centering of the servos is any different? Are there any software modifications necessary?

It should work all the same

My centering and range of motion is fine with no software changes. I’ve just been swapping out on an as needed basis, two knee (thigh?) servos so far.

I’ve just built my Hexy, and used the metal-geared Turnigy TGY-50090M servos you guys suggested for the hips and knees. I reckoned the “toes” don’t have a great deal of stress on them, so I used the TowerPro servos that came with the kit for that.

They work great, though I can’t speculate on their durability yet.

A couple minor points about the servo horns;

• They aren’t flat on the face like the TowerPro servo horns. This means that you should use a knife to pare off the little circular collar on their faces when mounting them on the body for the hip servos. You don’t have to do this for the knee or toe joints.
  • The mounting holes second from the tips of the servo horns are a little closer together than the holes on Hexy. No drama, but I recommend drilling the holes out a little bigger (as one of the other posters suggested) and make the holes a little oval. It’s way neater to drill out the servo horn holes anyway, regardless of the servos. Lots less splitting. Use a tiny drill bit in a pin vise or a Dremel tool. A hand drill if you are careful.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I swapped out all the servos and didn’t have any trouble centering them. Hexy has less vibrations and seems to run smoother (although it was not too bad with the original servos after upgrading the firmware to 2.0). I’ll be doing some more testing later on.

I just finished building my Hexy and used the Turnigy for all servos except for the ultrasonic sensor. I sanded the 6 servo horns that attach to the bottom panel frame flat. I am currently using 4 AA NiMh, which seems adequate for general movement. Hexy does seem to struggle on 4 batteries getting up after the 1st time. I need to order another set of NiMhs and an external power supply.

I did have a couple of challenges building. I overtightend the long screw that goes between two servos and snapped a part. Fortunately CA super glue works well. The hole for the ultrasonic sensor servo was too large, but some glue filler took care of that. I followed the advice to use a drill vise to widen the servo horn holes, which made installation much easier.

I am looking forward to trying Bluetooth next.

Here is my quick test video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpCUFbzEt30&feature=youtu.be