Cannot communicate with Sparki (Windows/Linux)



I’m actually asking this for my son - since I cannot figure it out myself.

He has a brand new Sparki and it seems to be blocked after first attempts to program it (upload an example sketch). The behaviour is the same under Windows or Linux, with Arduino IDE v 1.8.5 (“Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding” while trying to upload new code).

Sparki status LED is blinking (fade in/out). Since it’s easier (at least for me) to get low-level details with Linux, here is what I can get so far on Linux. It seems that Sparki disconnects after a few seconds. Here is dmesg output:

[ 1334.834571] usb 3-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=27c2, idProduct=0003 [ 1334.834572] usb 3-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=0 [ 1334.834573] usb 3-1.2: Product: Sparki [ 1334.834573] usb 3-1.2: Manufacturer: ArcBotics LLC [ 1334.835184] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device [ 1342.524746] usb 3-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 10 [ 1342.524821] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.1: urb 11 failed submission with -19 [ 1342.526781] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.1: urb 12 failed submission with -19 [ 1342.530787] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.1: urb 13 failed submission with -19 [ 1342.532809] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.1: urb 14 failed submission with -19 [ 1342.534806] cdc_acm 3-1.2:1.1: urb 15 failed submission with -19

Looking around on this forum, I’ve read Cannot Upload to Sparki in Linux I’ve then added a udev rule and re-started daemon, and globally I have the same result when I reset Sparki (using the push button) - device gets disconnected and I cannot upload any code from Arduino IDE - except cdc_adm is no longer reporting any error:

[ 1775.223128] usb 3-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd [ 1775.324836] usb 3-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=27c2, idProduct=0003 [ 1775.324837] usb 3-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=0 [ 1775.324838] usb 3-1.3: Product: Sparki [ 1775.324839] usb 3-1.3: Manufacturer: ArcBotics LLC [ 1775.325343] cdc_acm 3-1.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device [ 1782.895675] usb 3-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 12

So… I don’t know what to do next. I’m not at all a specialist but I’m quite used to Linux commandline, so I any suggestion would be welcome!



OK, should I read everything before, did the trick :unamused: (and, yes, one has to try multiple times to get the right timing!)

I still have to figure out how we got into this state though.