Cannot Upload to Sparki

Hello,

I am Windows savy but new to Linux/Xubuntu and Arduino/Sparky. I have installed Xubuntu 20.4 on an old Dell Inspiron 1501 with AMD processor. Downloaded the latest Arduino (1.8.13) with the hope of uploading programs to Sparki which we got the kids for Christmas. Unfortunately . . . I cannot upload through Arduino or manually (holding reset and then releasing when uploading appears). I do seem to be communicating through the port with Sparki as it seems to reset and start moving. BUUUUT . . . the example application I’m trying to upload involves no movement (example RGB, LCD Circles, etc). I get the error message noted below. I would like to get this up and running ASAP so the kids don’t become frustrated and lose interest. I would hate to have Sparki become a $150 door stop!

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Tom

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Linux), Board: “ArcBotics Sparki”

Sketch uses 14480 bytes (50%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 1942 bytes (75%) of dynamic memory, leaving 618 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Low memory available, stability problems may occur.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port /dev/ttyACM0
PORTS {/dev/ttyACM0, } / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {/dev/ttyACM0, } => {/dev/ttyACM0, }
Found upload port: /dev/ttyACM0
/home/triplets/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5/bin/avrdude -C/home/triplets/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/arduino_build_782287/RGB_Basic.ino.hex:i
/home/triplets/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5/bin/avrdude: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/triplets/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5/bin/avrdude: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hello,

Just want to preference this that we don’t officially support Linux, so I would strongly suggest trying Windows instead.

Is /dev/ttyACM0 a serial port that disappears and re-appears once you unplug it / plug it back in?
Does the red light pulse when when the upload process begins?

Thank you for getting back to me, and for the clariification re: Linux support.

Is /dev/ttyACM0 a serial port that disappears and re-appears once you unplug it / plug it back in? Yes

Does the red light pulse when when the upload process begins?* No

BTW . . . Below is a response that I got from the Arduino.cc community forum w/r to my question above.

Unfortunately, it looks like the “ArcBotics Sparki” boards platform is using a very outdated version of AVRDUDE, which is causing the error. Ideally, the manufacturer of this board would provide proper software support for their product, but that might not be something you can count on. You should take a look to make sure they haven’t released a newer version of the support software.

Failing that, you might find a workaround here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=567490.0
or here:
https://askubuntu.com/a/1076284

I don’t know anything about the subject so I can’t say whether that will help.