Hexy does not connect via USB

My 13-year-old finished assembling his Hexy and we connected it to a Mac (OS X 10.10) via the USB cable. Connecting the batteries (5 x 1.2V AA NiMH batteries) makes the servos center briefly, so I think the unit is receiving power. But nothing happens when we send commands via PoMoCo. When we connect the Arduino IDE, it does not show any serial port, and the manual upload procedure at arcbotics.com/lessons/manual-upload/ did not fix this either.

When we first connected the batteries, we noticed a burning smell and disconnected them right away. We checked all the connections were correct and tried again, and this did not happen again. The red light on the Bluetooth blinked the first time we tried, but after we tried the pairing procedure from the Mac once, it no longer does either.

What do you suggest?

Below is the error message from the Arduino IDE when we try to upload:

[code]Arduino: 1.6.3 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

Sketch uses 10,350 bytes (36%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 923 bytes (36%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,637 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Couldn’t find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board’s reset button after initiating the upload.
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.waitForUploadPort(SerialUploader.java:234)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:130)
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.upload(Compiler.java:165)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1260)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1202)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1174)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2471)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Couldn’t find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board’s reset button after initiating the upload.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.[/code]

Sounds like the board got fried somehow? I mean, smoke is never good. Go ahead and send an email to help@arcbotics.com and we’ll get you a replacement, and get yours back so we can see what went wrong.

Thanks! I just sent email to the help address.

If their board is defective, yes, we will replace it free of charge.